The Observatory “O. Vittori” at Mt. Cimone (44°12' N, 10°42' E, 2165 m a.s.l.) is the only high mountain station for atmospheric research both South of the Alps and the Po basin: it represents a strategic platform to study the South Europe and Mediterranean basin troposphere.
Besides being the only “global station” within the WMO/GAW in the Mediterranean basin, it also participates to ACTRIS-2, AGAGE and ICOS-RI.
Continuous measurement programmes for aerosol properties (physical/optical properties and chemistry), trace gases (GHG and reactive), columnar content and vertical profiling (AOD, Zenith-sky DOAS), meteorological parameters are carried out at Mt. Cimone, since several years.
In the framework of ACTRIS-RI, the “O. Vittori” observatory is integrated with the “S. Pietro Capofiume” rural site (43°21’N, 12°34’E, 11 m a.s.l.), located in the hearth of Po Basin and managed by ARPAE Emilia-Romagna in co-operation with CNR-ISAC and the Bologna Urban Observatory (43°21’N, 12°34’E, 39 m a.s.l.), located at the CNR-ISAC HQs.
This “Mt. Cimone – Po Valley” Observatory offers the possibility to integrate, in a coherent vertical and spatial framework, in-situ and remote sensing observations of aerosol, trace gases and clouds throughout one of the most sensitive European region for air-quality and pollution-climate interactions, as already done during field experiments: EUCAARI (2008), PEGASOS (2012), SUPERSITO (2011-2014), ACTRIS-2 field-campaign (2017).
In the following, the observation programmes running at the “Mt. Cimone - Po Valley” Observatory are reported.
- Meteorological parameters and solar radiation: (CMN, BO, SPC).
- Trace gases near-surface: O3 (CMN); SO2 (CMN, SPC); CO2 (CMN); CH4 (CMN); CO (CMN); NO-NO2 (CMN); VOC (CMN), halogenated greenhouse gases (SF6, CFCs, PFCs, HCFCs, HFCs).
- Trace gases total columns and profiling: Zenith-sky DOAS and MAXDOAS for O3 , NO2, SO2, HCHO – Formaldehyde (CMN, BO).
- Solar photometry: Aerosol Optical Depth, AOD (CMN, BO).
- Aerosol near surface: number size distribution (280 nm - 10 µm) (CMN, BO); number size distribution (10 - 800nm) (CMN,SPC); aerosol mass PM2.5 e PM10 (BO); chemical composition during intensive field campaign (CMN, SPC, BO); absorption coefficient at 630 nm (CMN, BO), equivalent black carbon (CMN, BO); scattering and back scattering coefficient at 450, 550 and 700 nm (CMN); total particle number (from 10 nm to 3μm) (CMN).
- Cloud in situ: fog chemical composition and atmospheric liquid water content (SPC).
For more information please visit: